Return to  ScooterFocus Home Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 30, 2014, 11:20:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My lights aren't working  (Read 11374 times)
Gamer
« on: July 20, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »

Hello to all... I am brand new to the scooter/motorcycle world and just got my first scooter a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I didn't realize that getting help with my Chinese scooter would be so tough. My local scooter shop wants to charge me $100/hr to work on it!!!

I remember that the first day I had it, the lights worked ok. I flipped the switches quite a few times back and forth trying to figure out what was what. The next day I realized that my taillight and both of the headlights weren't working. The headlights have two bulbs each and all four of them were burnt out.

First question: are the little bulbs the brights?

I found a new taillight that was very close to the volts and watts of the original. I found 2 little bulbs for the smaller headlight bulbs that were very close to the volts/watts of the originals.

I put it all together and those 3 lights worked without a problem. Then the next night, we started driving it and the fronts light held up for about 6 mins of driving and the taillight the same. Now those are blown out, or at least I assume they are blown. I haven't taken it apart just yet.

Any ideas?

I am planning on double checking the voltage of the battery today and then double checking the bulbs that are needed.

Is there more then one fuse that I should check? What are the normal volts/watts for each of those lights? Why would the headlights/taillights blow up and not the breaklights/blinkers??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh yeah, I have a Bandit 150z
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 01:54:11 PM by Gamer » Logged
Scooter Focus
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »

Sounds like a regulator problem. With the scooter running and reved up you should be seeing less than about 14.5v across the battery terminals. If it's more than that bulbs will blow out quickly. The headlight and tailight bulbs will blow first because they are on all the time. If the voltage gets up to 16-17 volts, you might only get 1% or the expected bulb life.

If you're seeing more than about 14.5v across the battery terminals with the engine running and reved up, then the regulator is faulty. It can't really be repaired, you'll need to replace it. If there's too much voltage, it will also eventually damage your battery by overcharging it.

I don't think it's related to fuses at all. I don't know the bulb specifications for the Bandit 150z, but any nominal "12v" automobile, motorcycle or scooter bulb of the appropriate wattage and the right base should work fine. All auto bulbs are designed to work with 12-14v supply.

If it's not covered under warranty, a new regulator (if that is the problem) isn't expensive. $25 or less. The problem will be in figuring out just which one your scooter uses. Take a look at http://www.partsforscooters.com/All-Parts?search=regulator for some examples.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 01:24:25 PM by Scooter Focus » Logged
Gamer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »

Thank you for the information and the link. I bought mine used, so there is no warranty that I am aware of. Do you know of any manuals or books/guides that could show me how to get to that piece to replace it? Is it difficult to change out?
Gamer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 06:26:36 AM »

Pretty sure the regulator is what the problem is. My friend brought a voltage meter over yesterday and we tested it. The battery itself was giving 13 volts. Then we tested the headlight. At one point just idling it jumped up to 19 volts. I saw it go as low as 4 and then go up to 17 when I revved it up.

It was really easy to find too. It was right behind the  front headlights and really easy to get to. Going to order my new one today and then fix it next week. I wish we had a dealer close!!

Thank you for the suggestion!!
duckyboy1975

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:46:55 PM »

I had the same problem on my Tank but couldn't figure out how to fix it for the life of me. I figured it's worth taking it to the shop instead of wasting hours of my time trying to figure it out. Also: i'm never buying a china scooter again...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:52:50 AM by Scooter Focus » Logged
rand the man

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:08:55 PM »

Have a Xing Yue 150 T 7...had problems with the lights ( always on model). The small one is the usual light, the larger one is the high beam.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: